Grid Computing - COEN 396 - Winter 2004
- Lecturer: Prof. Silvia Figueira (email@example.com)
- Classes: Th at 5:10pm
- Office Hours: T/Th 10am-11am
- Work: Paper Summaries + Talk + Paper
- Grid Overview
- Virtual Organizations
- Resource Management
- Performance Prediction and Scheduling
- Programming Models and Tools
Your project involves coming up with a Grid web service to perform a task.
You will write a short paper (due on 3/18) and give a 10-min presentation
on 3/18 about your service.
You will need to describe the service's behavior, motivate the need for
such a service, and describe a possible implementation.
You can work alone or in a group of 2.
If you are interested, you may implement your service in the Spring
and/or Summer either by doing an Independent Study or an MS Thesis with me.
Every Thursday we will be discussing a research paper. Everybody is supposed
to read each paper and prepare a review about it. The review is due on the day we
are discussing the respective paper. The review should include a summary of the main
points of the paper and a discussion about what the authors did wrong or could
have done better.
Questions to help the review:
- What is the main contribution (or main contributions) of this paper?
- Which problem was solved?
- Which were the solutions proposed?
- Any assumptions were made?
- Anything they could or should have explained better?
- Anything they should or could have done better?
- Can you think of ways to continue or extend what was done?
- Anything that caught your attention? Any comments? Any conclusions?
List of Papers:
The Grid: A New Infrastructure for the 21st Century Science
Ian Foster, Physics Today, February 2002.
Grid Services for Distributed System Integration
Ian Foster, Carl Kesselman, Jeffrey Nick, and Steven Tuecke
IEEE Computer, June 2002.
Grid Web Services and Application Factories
Dennis Gannon et al., Department of Computer Science, Indiana University.
Toward a Framework for Preparing and Executing Adaptive Grid Programs
Ken Kennedy et al., IPDPS 2002.
Condor-G: A Computation Management Agent for Multi-Institutional Grids
James Frey et et al., HPDC'10, August 2001.
Experiences with Predicting Resource Performance On-line in
Computational Grid Settings
ACM SIGMETRICS Performance Evaluation Review, Vol. 30, No. 4, pp 41--49,
- 2/26: No paper and no class. If possible, you should attend the talk
Science as a Team Sport, by Fran Berman.
DWDM-RAM: Enabling Grid Services with Dynamic Optical Networks
S. Figueira et al., CCGRID/GAN 2004, Chicago, April 2004. (to appear)
Security for Grid Services
Von Welch et al., IEEE HPDC 12, June 2003.
Grid Research Projects
Papers about the Grid are everywhere. Make a google search and you will find a huge amount
of papers and projects related to the Grid. The links below should help you start:
- The GRID - Blueprint for a New Computing Infrastructure
Edited by Ian Foster and Carl Kesselman,
Morgan Kaufmann, Second Edition, 2003
- Grid Resource Management
Edited by Jarek Nabrzyski, Jennifer Schopf, and Jan Weglarz,
Kluwer Publishing, 2003
- Grid Computing - Making the Global Infrastructure a Reality
Edited by Fran Berman, Geoffrey Fox, and Anthony Hey,