Yi Fang is an assistant professor in the
Department of Computer Engineering,
Santa Clara University.
He received Ph.D. from the Department of Computer Science,
His Ph.D. thesis advisor was Professor Luo Si.
His major research interest is Information Retrieval.
Recent Publications. [Complete List]
Suthee Chaidaroon, Yi Fang. Variational Deep Semantic Hashing for Text Documents. In Proceedings of the 40th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, 2017.
Travis Ebesu, Yi Fang. Neural Citation Network for Context-Aware Citation Recommendation. In Proceedings of the 40th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, 2017. (Short Paper)
Travis Ebesu, Yi Fang. Neural Semantic Personalized Ranking for Item Cold-Start Recommendation. In Information Retrieval Journal (IRJ), Springer, 2017.
Zhongchen Miao, Kai Chen, Yi Fang, Jianhua He, Yi Zhou, Wenjun Zhang, Hongyuan Zha. Cost-effective Online Trending Topic Detection and Popularity Prediction in Microblogging. In ACM Transactions on Information Systems (TOIS), Volume 35, Issue 3, 2017.
Yogesh Jhamb, Yi Fang A Dual-Perspective Latent Factor Model for Group-Aware Social Event Recommendation. In Information Processing and Management (IPM), Elsevier, 2017.
Mengwen Liu, Wanying Ding, Dae Hoon Park, Yi Fang, Rui Yan, Xiaohua Hu. Which Used Product is More Sellable? A Time-Aware Approach. In Information Retrieval Journal (IRJ), Springer, 2017.
- Mengwen Liu, Yi Fang, Dae Hoon Park, Xiaohua Hu, Zhengtao Yu. Retrieving Non-Redundant Questions to Summarize a Product Review. In Proceedings of the 39th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, 2016.
Dae Hoon Park, Yi Fang, Mengwen Liu, and Chengxiang Zhai. Mobile App Retrieval for Social Media Users via Inference of Implicit Intent in Social Media Text.
. In Proceedings of the 25th ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM), 2016.
Hui Wu, Yi Fang, Huming Wu, and Shenhong Zhu. Diversifying Trending Topic Discovery via Semidefinite Programming. In IEEE International Conference on Big Data, 2016.
Yi Fang, Mengwen Liu. A Unified Energy-based Framework for Learning to Rank
. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGIR International Conference on the Theory of Information Retrieval (ICTIR), 2016.
Yi Fang, Archana Godavarthy, Haibing Lu. A Utility Maximization Framework for Privacy Preservation of User Generated Content. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGIR International Conference on the Theory of Information Retrieval (ICTIR), 2016.
Archana Godavarthy, Yi Fang. Cross-Language Microblog Retrieval using Latent Semantic Modeling. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGIR International Conference on the Theory of Information Retrieval (ICTIR), 2016. (Short paper)
Organized CIKM 2016 Workshop on Data-Driven Talent Acquisition with Maarten de Rijke and Huangming Xie.
Yi Fang has created and taught five new courses at Santa Clara University:
- COEN 272 Web Search and Information Retrieval
- COEN 240 Machine Learning
- COEN 140 Machine Learning and Data Mining
- COEN 169 Web Information Management
- COEN 60 Introduction to Web Technologies
In addition, he has also taught
- COEN 11 Advanced Programming
- COEN 162 Web Infrastructure
- Teacher of the Year, School of Engineering, 2017
- Reseacher of the Year, School of Engineering, 2017
- Outstanding Service Award, ACM CIKM, 2013
- Outstanding Service Award, IEEE ICME, 2013
- PhD dissertation nominated for the Outstanding Dissertation Award of Purdue University
- Meritorious Award (First Prize), International Annual Mathematical Contest in Modeling (MCM)
- Tutorial Chair, IEEE BigData, 2016
- Local Chair, CIKM, 2013.
- Local Chair, ICME, 2013.
- Senior Program Committee, CIKM, 2016
- SIGIR, 2013-2017; CIKM, 2016-2017; ECIR, 2013-2017; IEEE BigData, 2013-2017; AAAI, 2015-2017; IJCAI, 2013; SDM, 2012-2013; ICDM, 2013
- Panelist for National Science Foundation
- Journal reviewers: Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology (JASIST), Information Processing & Management (IPM), ACM Transaction on the Web, ACM Transaction on Interactive Intelligent Systems,
ACM Transactions on Information Systems (TOIS),
ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (TIST),
IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE),
IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems,
Pattern Recognition Letters,
Information Processing Letters